Two More Books

I found myself in an odd situation this week. While working on Cold Knights, the plot was becoming predictable. While thinking of a possible way to resolve the issue, I worked on The Last Dragon and came up with several unique ideas to follow for it. At the same time, I resolved the plot issue with Cold Knights and wanted to get it onto "paper" before I forgot.

So, I wrote a chapter of one book, then switched to the other. Then back again. For about three days I entered one world of place and characters, and wrote with one voice, then changed to another world and writing style a few hours later. I honestly expected to confuse a place or character--and didn't.

Then I wondered why. Writing for me, is a process where I have to engross myself totally in the story. I can see, hear, touch, taste. If my character is in snow I need another shirt and maybe turn the heat up. I have to speak with my characters, and often say their words out loud to make sure they are speaking like real people. I pause and decide what they smell in a pine forest, or at the seashore. The grit of sand, the burn of the sun.

Other writers are far better at their descriptions than I am, but a book without them is food without flavor. I have to put myself into their situations. If they hold a knife, I grip my Sharpie and swipe the way they might, then I describe it. Based on this, I'm not sure "writing" is as much of a skill as "getting into the head of my Main Character" is. The exact words can be edited and altered later, the immediacy of my character doing something cannot.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon Clan, New World book release

2030 A.D. Denver